No Subject

>A while back I referred to a John Osgood m. Mary Clements, and you said Mary w
>as not in your database.  I went back and looked at my material, and I can see
> why--this John Osgood was not in your direct ancestor line from Christopher O
>sgood b.1615.  Go back a generation to Christopher's father, Christopher Osgoo
>d b. 1569, m. Elizabeth Brockwell.  They had your Christopher and also a son,
>John Osgood, b. July 23, 1595 England, m. Sarah Booth.

We have Christopher Osgood b. 1569, Wherewell, Hampshire, England
m. 1599, England
Elizabeth Brockwell, b. 1573, Wiltshire, England, d. 1612, Wherewell
children John, Christopher, and William.
Our information on that John is the same as yours,
except apparently I didn't record children for him and Sarah Booth,
probably because it appeared it didn't connect with ours.

Those generations have been somewhat messy to straighten out.
See the second chart I've just added to
 http://www.quarterman.org/chart/osgood/

It appears I have introduced a nonexistent extra Christopher,
because I have the one son of Elizabeth Brockwell as being born
c. 1600, with an unknown spouse, having Christopher b. 1615 as son.
There was some correspondence with various people about these
generations as the book was going to print, but I ran out of
time to deal with them then.

>  This John also had a s
>on, John Osgood b. 1631 m. Mary Clements.  Mary is of interest because she was
> falsely accused of witchcraft in 1692 and John subsequently died in 1693.  Al
>though she offered a quite flowery confession (no doubt to save her life), she
> was later cleared of charges.

Interesting.  Yet another witchcraft trial connection, in addition to the
one through the Ways.

>I found this information on a family tree at genealogy.com, and the "genealogi
>st" cites  "A Genealogical Dictionary of First Settlers of New England, showin
>g The Generations of Thos who came before May 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's R
>egister."

Presumably that would be this book:

0 @S96@ SOUR
1 REFN Savage
1 RKEY Savage
1 TITL A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England
1 AUTH James Savage
1 PUBL
2 TYPE BOOK
2 PUBR Little Brown
2 DATE 1860-1862
2 ADDR Boston, Mass.
1 NOTE UGA Library has microfilm copy
1 OLDS Savage, First Settlers of New England
1 CHAN 16 Sep 1996
1 CHAN 6 Jul 1997 jsq

That was one of the sources we used.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>