Re: Effie Young Quarterman In Any Relation to General John Screven and Aaron Way ?

>Glenn:
>
>Children of Pride is a collection of letters, and an interesting picture of
>the Jones family and of the Liberty County area, especially during the war,
>but it definitely could not be considered a definitive genealogical history
>of anybody.  I'm sure the GA archives has a copy; you may even be able to
>get it thru interlibrary loan.
>
>The Quarterman book has a lot of genealogy on these families, but I'm just
>getting into it & can't vouch for it yet!  (I'm kinda particular about
>sources & documentation!)

Children of Pride was one of, but far from the only, source used in our book.

>Nancy Reu

According to the database underlying the book, Quarterman Family of
Liberty County, Georgia, and Relatives, yes, there is a direct relation:

 Effie Young QUARTERMAN, child of
 John Way QUARTERMAN, child of
 Adaline WAY, child of
 John WAY Jr., child of
 John WAY Sr., child of
 Edward WAY, child of
 William WAY, child of
 William WAY, child of
 Aaron WAY Sr..

I believe you'll find the sources for each step in the book.

I don't know of a General John Screven.  We do have a Gen. James Screven.
He appears to be related indirectly by marriage:

 James SCREVEN, father of
 Mary Esther SCREVEN, mother of
 Odinsel Witherspoon HART, spouse of
 Mary Caroline STEVENS, child of
 Elizabeth Sumner WINN, child of
 Nancy (Ann?) SUMNER, child of
 Edward Way SUMNER, child of
 Elizabeth WAY, child of
 Aaron WAY, child of
 Aaron WAY Sr..

The sources for those steps are also in the book.

We're always interested in further sources, criticisms, etc.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>