Re: Delegal

>From owner-book@quarterman.com  Thu Feb 14 22:07:18 2002
>To: book@quarterman.org
>Subject: Delegal
>
>Your Message Here
>My ggrandmother was reared by edward J Delegal whose daughter eliza was married to a Quarterman. I am trying to find the name of my ggrandmother's mother who was married to william delegal

I have no info on William Delegal. However I have the will of a Philip
Delegal from Island of Guernsey, his will is dated 1762 and probated 4 Jan
1769. He names his children, but no William. Maybe this will give you some
clue as to possible origin of the DeLegals.

None of the decendants that I have is William, but my Delegal info is very
sketchy. Mostly from the will noted below.

				David Quarterman

1 WILL
  2 DATE 22 Jan 1762
  2 PROB 4 Jan 1769
  2 PLAC Island of Guernsey
  2 SOUR @S419@
    3 PAGE p. 81
    3 TEXT Philip Delegal, Esq., Captain in Lieutenant General Parson's Regiment
      4 CONT of Invalids, St. Peter's Port, Island of Guernsey. Wife: Eleanor,
      4 CONT living at Philip's Bluff, South Carolina, plantation already
      4 CONT transferred by deed of gift to wife: Eleanor, son: Edward, and
      4 CONT dau: Sophia: also 200 pounds, now at interest in Bank of England,
      4 CONT to wife and her heirs, for the rest of her natural life, if she
      4 CONT survives me. If she does not, to dau: Catherine, wife of Hugh
      4 CONT Campbell, South Carolina, mariner. If she dies before I do, this
      4 CONT to her legal heirs, equally divided. Eldest son: Philip Delegal,
      4 CONT Little Ogechee, Georgia, Gent.; (200) pounds now at interest in
      4 CONT Bank of England, gold watch, swords, plate, jewels, linnen,
      4 CONT wearing apparel; if he died before I do, this to his legal
      4 CONT heirs, equally divided. Son: John Delegal, South Carolina,
      4 CONT mariner, 200 pounds now at interest in Bank of England, if he
      4 CONT dies before I do this to his legal heirs equally divided. Sons:
      4 CONT George and Edward Delegal, Georgia, planters, ``all that my tract
      4 CONT of Land laying and being situate near unto the Lands of my eledest
      4 CONT Son Philip, at Little Ogechee,'' containging about 500 acres,
      4 CONT the grant for which is in wife Eleanor's name, equally divided,
      4 CONT or to the surviving heirs of either, entailed to them and their
      4 CONT heirs forever. Son: George, also 100 pounds now at interst; if
      4 CONT he should die, to his legal heirs. Son: Edward Delegal, also 100
      4 CONT pounds now at interest; if he shoud die then to his legal heirs,
      4 CONT equally divided. Eldest Dau: Catherine another 100 pounds now at
      4 CONT ineterest; if she die, to her legal heirs, eequally divided. Dau:
      4 CONT Margaret, wife of --- ---, South Carolina planter, 100 pounds now
      4 CONT at interest, if she die to her legal heirs, equally divided.
      4 CONT Youngest Dau: Sophia, living with her mother in South Carolina,
      4 CONT 100 pounds now at interest, if she die, to heirs, equally divided.
      4 CONT Ten Shillings to the Poor of St. Peter's Port, to be paid within
      4 CONT six months of my decease to the proper Officers of said parish for
      4 CONT use of the said Poor. Remainder of estate, real and personal, to
      4 CONT be sold to pay legal debts and funeral expenses. If any be left,
      4 CONT divided thus: wife, Eleanor, one-fourth: son, Philip, one-half;
      4 CONT other one-fourth to other six children or their heirs, equally
      4 CONT divided. If any of my children die without heirs, their share to
      4 CONT go to other children and their heirs, equally divided. Exors:
      4 CONT wife, Eleanor, and son, Philip. If either should die, sons,
      4 CONT Edward and George to take his or her place as exor. Executorship
      4 CONT to descend to the next eldest son. As exors. are all ``dwellers
      4 CONT beyond the seas,'' and cannot take immediate care of all my
      4 CONT affairs, I appoint Sir John Mylne, Barronet Lieutenant Governor
      4 CONT of Guernsey and Elisha Tupper, joint trustees, to correspond with
      4 CONT the exors and take care of my affairs. To them, one guinea each
      4 CONT for a mourning ring. Wit: Andre Migault, George Hawley, Edward
      4 CONT Knight. D: 22 Jan 1762. P: 4 Jan 1769. R: 5 Jan 1769. Sworn
      4 CONT statement by Elias Crespin to signature of Philip Delegal, dated
      4 CONT 6 Jan 1763 ... Vicedean of the Island of Guernsey. pp. 288-294
      4 CONT WBA. Note: will also admitted for probate in Guernsey on 31 Dec
      4 CONT 1762, per Royal Archivist of the Island of Guernsey, Great Britian.

The source is:

2 @S419@ SOUR @S419@
    3 REFN colwills
    3 RKEY DAR, Colonial Wills
    3 TITL Abstracts of Colonial Wills of the State of Georgia 1733-1777
    3 AUTH Atlanta Town Committe, DAR
    3 PUBL
      4 TYPE BOOK
      4 PUBR Longing \& Porter, Inc.