Re: Quarterman connections

Nancy,

>My mother-in-law's ancestors on both sides were Midway people.  Her grandparen
>ts were Alexander Sanford Quarterman, son of Thomas Quarterman III,1788-1857;
>and Ann Caroline Quarterman, daughter of Joseph Quarterman II, 1796-1853.

We have the latter's death date as 25 Jan 1863 in Walthourville,
source Myers' Children of Pride.

Everything else matches our database.  We have Alexander Sanford
Quarterman's mother as Sarah Ellen Sanford (1801-1871).  And Ann Caroline
Quarterman's mother as Harriett Elizabeth Stevens (1811-1887).

Thomas Quarterman (1788-1857) married second Ann Caroline Quarterman,

>  Both Thomas III and Joseph II were grandsons of Thomas I, 1738-1791.

Yes.  So Alexander and Ann were second cousins.

Your mother-in-law and I are fifth cousins once removed, by way of
John Quarterman Sr. (S.C.-1765).  Actually, we're probably more closely
related by some line or other, but that one is simplest.

Others include:
  John Sinclair QUARTERMAN, child of
  David Sinclair QUARTERMAN Jr., child of
  David Sinclair QUARTERMAN, child of
  Thomas Shepard QUARTERMAN, sibling of
  Claudius Marion QUARTERMAN, spouse of
  Iowa QUARTERMAN, child of
  Thomas William QUARTERMAN, child of
  Thomas QUARTERMAN, father of
  Alexander Sanford QUARTERMAN.

I'm guessing your mother-in-law was born Corinne Way, daughter of
Albert Morse Way and Corinne Quarterman?

If so, you're probably aware that the Ways are also related to the
Quartermans.  Albert Morse Way's great-great grandmother was Jemima
Quarterman, daughter of John Quarterman Sr. and Hannah Taylor.

Jemima Quarterman was also my great-great-great-great grandmother,
so if my speculation is correct your mother-in-law and I are also
fourth cousins once removed by that line.

In fact, I and Albert Morse Way are both descended from Jemima's son
John Way Jr. (1776-1837), so that would make your mother-in-law and I
third cousins once removed.

In any case, welcome, cousin.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>